Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If you do not find an answer to your query on this website or within these FAQs, please contact the Registry, and we will be pleased to assist you.


  • Can I charter my M-Reg jet out when I'm not using it?

No. Aircraft on the Isle of Man Aircraft Register can only be used for private and corporate use.

  • Is the Isle of Man part of Europe?

No. Whilst geographically the Island is located within Europe, it is an internally self-governing dependent territory of the Crown which is not part of the United Kingdom.

  • Do I need a Fatigue Risk Management Programme (FRMP)?

Operators of large and turbojet aircraft are required to establish and implement a FRMP that ensures that personnel involved in the operation and maintenance of aircraft do not carry out their duties when fatigued.  This varies from the ICAO requirement in that it does not state ‘operator personnel’ but only ‘personnel’. The IOM Aircraft Registry’s policy in this particular context is that the word ‘personnel’ is limited to personnel directly employed by the International GA Operator and is not intended to included personnel employed by organisations that the operator has contracted with to perform operational and maintenance functions.  However, operators are responsible for managing risks to their operations, and may address the issue of fatigue of contractor personnel, as part of their normal SMS activities.


  • I use eCharts on my IFIS, does this constitute a Class 3 EFB?

Yes, fully integrated eCharts, performance calculations and also weight and balance calculation functions are considered as Class 3 EFB and require approval for operational use on an M-Reg aircraft. Visit our EFB page for more information.  


  • When is a CRS required?

A CRS is only required for any task that comes under the schedule task consideration of an AMP or repairs to an unserviceable item or system.

  • Can I apply to authorise a flight crew member to sign a CRS? 

A completed Form 64a will need to be submitted together with evidence of specific task training and a copy of the approved data for the specific tasks (AMM, SB, etc).  If multiple tasks are required a consolidated work pack and control number is recommended. If the Registry is satisfied that the individual has been trained and have competence on the tasks, the Registry can issue an authorisation to a flight crew member for a period of 1 year