As a Crown Dependency of the United Kingdom (UK), the Isle of Man falls within the UK’s ratification of the Chicago Convention, please refer to the ‘Meeting International Standards’ dropdown on the ‘Overview’ page.
The aviation legislation applicable to the Isle of Man consists of our own national legislation and specific UK and European Union (EU) legislation which we have chosen to apply to the Island.
Where UK and EU legislation has been applied to the Island a document has been prepared to provide stakeholders with an updated and easy to read reference copy. The reference copy is not an official copy of the legislation. You must refer to the original source material for an exact copy of the legislation which can be accessed by searching for the Statutory Document Number (SD) on the Island’s website.
The Air Navigation (Isle of Man) Order 2015 is a UK Privy Council Order. References to the original source material for the Order can be found in the Forward of the Order under the Operating Rules dropdown.
The following Operating Rules provide laws covering Isle of Man registered aircraft wherever they may be–
- Air Navigation (Isle of Man) Order 2015 (SI 2015 no 870) - Provides legal requirements for civil aviation operations.
- This “easy reference” document consolidates the original order and all subsequent amendments;
- Specific articles that are subject to general permissions/exemptions/approvals are annotated and links provided to these; and
- The original source order and its subsequent amendments may be accessed from the hyperlinks provided in the foreword of the “easy reference” document.
- Air Navigation (General) Regulations 2006 (SD 909/06) - amplifies certain content of the Air Navigation (Isle of Man) Order.
- Civil Aviation (Rule of the Air) Order 2021 (SD 2021/0184) - applies common rules of the air and operational provisions regarding services and procedures in air navigation to all aircraft, air traffic service units, aerodrome operators and ground personnel engaged in aircraft operation.
- Civil Aviation (Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air) Order 2020 (SD 2020/0138) – sets the circumstances in which dangerous goods may be carried by air.
- Civil Aviation (Occurrence Reporting) Order 2020 (SD 2020/0137) - makes provision for persons involved in aviation activity to report occurrences which pose a significant risk to aviation safety.
- Civil Aviation (Miscellaneous Provisions) Order 2020 (SD 2020/0134) –includes common definitions for Orders made under the Airports and Civil Aviation Act.
- Civil Aviation (Investigation of Air Accidents and Incidents) Order 2019 (SD 2019/0267) - procedures and processes for air accident and serious incident investigation.
- Civil Aviation (Insurance) Regulations 2005 (SD 909/06) - minimum insurance in respect of liability for passengers, the associated duties of applicants and the Department for Enterprise.
- Air Navigation (Environmental Standards) Order 2002 (SD 909/06) - requirements for noise and emissions certification for helicopters and supersonic aeroplanes.
- Aeroplane Noise Regulations 1999 (SD 909/06) - requirements and process for noise certification of propeller driven and subsonic jet aeroplanes.
- Civil Aviation (Cape Town Convention) (No 2) Order 2016 (SD909/06) - applies the International Interests in Aircraft Equipment (Cape Town Convention) Regulations 2015 (SI 2015/912), which implement the Convention on International Interests in Mobile Equipment together with its Protocol on Matters Specific to Aircraft Equipment.
- Mortgaging of Aircraft Order 1972 (SD 909/06 & SD 2016/0229) - processes for the registration of mortgages for Isle of Man registered aircraft.
- Civil Aviation (Births, Deaths and Missing Persons) Regulations 1948 (SD 909/06) - requirements to report births, deaths and missing persons on Isle of Man registered aircraft.
The following subordinate legislation provides laws covering the conduct of the Registry-
- Civil Aviation (Procedure) Regulations 1991 (SD 909/06) – regulates the conduct of the Registry under the Air Navigation (Isle of Man) Order 2015.
- Civil Aviation (Miscellaneous Provisions) Order 2020 (SD 2020/0134) – regulates the conduct of the Registry under instruments made under the Airports and Civil Aviation Act 1987.
For information about how to request a review of a decision please follow this link.
A complete list of Permissions, Exemptions and/or Approvals that have been issued in relation to the Isle of Man legislation are available on the Isle of Man Civil Aviation Administration web site.
Those applicable to 'M' Reg aircraft, wherever they may operate, are available to download below:
ISLE OF MAN 'M' REGISTERED AIRCRAFT OPERATING GLOBALLY
|Exemption & Permission 2021/075||TRANSITIONAL AIRCRAFT|
|Exemption 2021/074||DEMONSTRATION FLIGHTS & DELIVERY FLIGHTS|
|Exemption & Permission 2021/055||QUALIFIED OWNERSHIP|
|Exemption 2021/024||FIREPROOF PLATE|
|Exemption 2021/018||HAND SANITISER|
|General Approval 2021/009||ISSUE OF A CERTIFICATE OF RELEASE TO SERVICE|
|Exemption 2020/103||LIFERAFTS - AEROPLANES|
|Exemption 2020/102||CERTIFICATE OF RELEASE TO SERVICE – SPECIFIED MAINTENANCE PROCEDURES|
|Exemption 13/2020||AERODROME OPERATING MINIMA|
|Exemption 15/2019||MAINTENANCE CHECK FLIGHTS|
|Exemption 04/2019||SUPPLEMENTAL OXYGEN|
|Exemption 19/2016||THE CARRIAGE OF MUNITIONS OF WAR AND SPORTING WEAPONS IN UNACCOMPANIED PASSENGER BAGGAGE|
View The Civil Aviation (Charges) Scheme 2021 in full.