As a Crown Dependency of the United Kingdom (UK), the Isle of Man falls within the UK’s ratification of the Chicago Convention, please refer to the ‘Meeting International Standards’ dropdown on the ‘Overview’ page.
The aviation legislation applicable to the Isle of Man consists of our own national legislation and specific UK and European Union (EU) legislation which we have chosen to apply to the Island.
Where UK and EU legislation has been applied to the Island a document has been prepared to provide stakeholders with an updated and easy to read reference copy. The reference copy is not an official copy of the legislation. You must refer to the original source material for an exact copy of the legislation which can be accessed by searching for the Statutory Document Number (SD) on the Island’s website.
Provides the legal requirements for civil aviation operations.
Air Navigation (Isle of Man) Order 2015
The following UK Statutory Instruments provided the original source material for the ‘Easy Reference Document’ -
Air Navigation (Isle of Man) Order 2015 - Original version
Air Navigation (Isle of Man) (Amendment) Order 2016 - 2016 amendment
Air Navigation (Isle of Man) (Amendment) Order 2020 - 2020 amendment
Replacement of the Air Navigation (Isle of Man) Order 2015
The Isle of Man Government is currently in the process of replacing the provisions of the Air Navigation (Isle of Man) Order 2015 (the 2015 Order) with its own bespoke legislation.
Up to 1 August 2021 the following matters have been removed from the 2015 Order into bespoke Isle of Man Orders –
- Civil Aviation (Rule of the Air) Order 2021 (SD 2021/0184)
- Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air (SD 2020/0138)
- Occurrence Reporting (SD 2020/0137)
- Air Traffic Services (SD 2020/0136)
- Small Unmanned Aircraft (SD 2020/0135)
- Miscellaneous Provisions (SD 2020/0134)
The following subordinate legislation provides laws covering Isle of Man registered aircraft wherever they may be –
- Civil Aviation (Rule of the Air) Order 2021 (SD 2021/0184) - applies common rules of the air and operational provisions regarding services and procedures in air navigation to all aircraft, air traffic service units, aerodrome operators and ground personnel engaged in aircraft operation
- Civil Aviation (Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air) Order 2020 (SD 2020/0138) – sets the circumstances in which dangerous goods may be carried by air
- Civil Aviation (Occurrence Reporting) Order 2020 (SD 2020/0137) - makes provision for persons involved in aviation activity to report occurrences which pose a significant risk to aviation safety
- Civil Aviation (Miscellaneous Provisions) Order 2020 (SD 2020/0134) – makes provision for instruments made under the Airports and Civil Aviation Act 1987 in relation to common administration provisions, including common definitions.
- Civil Aviation (Investigation of Air Accidents and Incidents) Order 2019 (SD 2019/0267) - procedures and processes for air accident and serious incident investigation
- Air Navigation (General) Regulations 2006 (SD 909/06) - amplifies certain content of the Air Navigation (Isle of Man) Order
- Civil Aviation (Insurance) Regulations 2005 (SD 909/06) - minimum insurance in respect of liability for passengers, the associated duties of applicants and the Department for Enterprise
- Air Navigation (Environmental Standards) Order 2002 - requirements for noise and emissions certification for helicopters and supersonic aeroplanes
- Aeroplane Noise Regulations 1999 (SD 909/06) - requirements and process for noise certification of propeller driven and subsonic jet aeroplanes
- Mortgaging of Aircraft Order 1972 (SD 909/06 & SD 2016/0229) - processes for the registration of mortgages for Isle of Man registered aircraft
- Civil Aviation (Births, Deaths and Missing Persons) Regulations 1948 (SD 909/06) - requirements to report births, deaths and missing persons on Isle of Man registered aircraft
The following subordinate legislation provides laws covering the conduct of the Registry -
- Civil Aviation (Procedure) Regulations 1991 (SD 909/06) – regulates the conduct of the Registry under the Air Navigation (Isle of Man) Order 2015
- Civil Aviation (Miscellaneous Provisions) Order 2020 (SD 2020/0134) – regulates the conduct of the Registry under Orders made by the Island’s Parliament and provides other common administrative provisions.
For information about how to request a review of a decision please follow this link.
The Aviation (Cape Town Convention) (No 2) Order 2016 applies the International Interests in Aircraft Equipment (Cape Town Convention) Regulations 2015 (SI 2015/912) to the Isle of Man and implements the Cape Town Convention which is an international treaty intended to standardise transactions involving moveable property.
International Interests in Aircraft Equipment (Cape Town Convention) Regulations 2015 (SD 2015/912)
Primary legislation providing our legal basis -
• Civil Aviation Act 1982 – details the power to regulate
• Airports and Civil Aviation Act 1987 – details the powers to apply UK, EU and local aviation legislation to the Isle of the Man.